Can't catch exception

I tried to put a try/catch around the call to the script that was breaking due to their not being an operator = available so that I could display the error to the user.
However, the code just seems to go bad inside chaiscript_common.hpp in the ‘throw’ part of the Boxed_Value eval(…) function to the point where xcode indicates a BAD_INSTRUCTION.

How do I catch these exception?

Thanks

hm i’m not sure what you mean here. can you post a minimal example that compiles and shows this error to test this?
(chaiscript thows nicely for me)

Probably not easily — the code is deeply distributed all over our files so consolidating into a simple example would take a lot of time. However, generally the only reason try/catch doesn’t work is if the code somehow ended up in a different thread. I’m wondering if that’s a possibility

Silly question : Are you providing a chaiscript::exception_specification to eval method ?

like this :

try
{
	pChaiEngine_->eval(str, chaiscript::exception_specification<const std::exception&>());
}
catch (const std::exception& e)
{
	std::wcout << std::string(e.what());
}

Not a silly question at all but no, I was not. All I am doing so far is

try
{
   eval....
}
catch(...)
{
   Console::Log("Error in script");
}

The goal being to just catch anything — once that worked, I would have refined so as to capture specfic issues and report what went wrong. Shouldn’t that work?

You can try this :

try
{
	pChaiEngine_->eval(str, chaiscript::exception_specification<const std::exception&, const chaiscript::Boxed_Value&>());
}
catch (const std::exception& e)
{
}
catch (const chaiscript::Boxed_Value& e)
{
}

you should catch all chaiscript errors

I’ll give it a shot but shouldn’t my generic catch(…) have worked regardless of the exception? Or is it necessary to include that exception specification to make exception handling work at all?

Yeah, you should easily be able to catch any exception that ChaiScript is throwing from your C++, particularly with a catch(...). The only way I can see this not working is if you somehow have a bad / mismatched build.

ok - figured out why I wasn’t catching some exceptions — stupid ID Ten T issue (sigh)

I am however wondering about the purpose of the “chaiscript::exception_specification<const std::exception&>()” argument in eval. I’m not using that and I’m still getting exceptions back properly

The exception_specification will automatically unbox exceptions that are thrown from within script, as opposed to by the scripting engine.

example:

// c++ code
try {
  chai.eval("throw(5)");
} catch (const Boxed_Value &) {
  // this is catch that's executed
} catch (int) {
  // and not this one as expected, perhaps
}

However if we do an exception specification:

// c++ code
try {
  chai.eval("throw(5)", exception_specification<int>());
} catch (const Boxed_Value &) {
  // this catch is not executed
} catch (int) {
  // this catch is, as we might have wanted.
}

-Jason