Converting from `const Vector` (in script) to `std::vector` (in C++)

Hi,

I have the following:

void processData(const std::vector<int>& data);

chai.add(chaiscript::fun(&processData), "processData");

To be able to use the function, I have also registered the vector type with:

chai.add(chaiscript::bootstrap::standard_library::vector_type<std::vector<int>>("StdVectorInt"));

Then, in the script, I can do the following:

auto data = StdVectorInt();
data.push_back(12);
data.push_back(34);
data.push_back(56);
data.push_back(78);
processData(data);

QUESTION: Is there any mechanism so that I could do the following instead?

processData([12, 34, 56, 78]);

I just wondering whether I could overload the processData() function with some kind of const Vector type.

Thanks,

G

EDIT: It seems that this could be as simple as

void processData(const std::vector<chaiscript::Boxed_Value>& data)

However, it feels that I’m dangerously assuming that the internal container type for ChaiScript’s vectors is std::vector. Is there a typedef anywhere to avoid making such assumption? That I have not been able to find.

Strange that the [] doesn’t resolve as a vector. Interested to see why that is. Did you introduce that second processData as an overloaded method?

Hi Rob, thanks for taking your time to reply.

It was not the function overloading that interested me, but the fact that I had to figure out [] in the script was translated in C++. I eventually discovered that it’s a const std::vector<chaiscript::Boxed_Value>& parameter.

The only side question that this arose is whether there is a typedef in ChaiScript to refer to const std::vector<chaiscript::Boxed_Value>& in a more robust way. But it’s a minor concern.

Thanks!

For the sake of marking this as answered, this is how the function was registered:

void processData(const std::vector<int>& data)
{
    for (const auto& value : data)
        std::cout << value << ", ";
    std::cout << std::endl;
}

void processData(const std::vector<chaiscript::Boxed_Value>& data)
{
    for (const auto& value : data)
        std::cout << chaiscript::boxed_cast<int>(value) << ", ";
    std::cout << std::endl;
}

chai.add(chaiscript::fun(static_cast<void (*)(const std::vector<int>&)>(&processData)), "processData");
chai.add(chaiscript::fun(static_cast<void (*)(const std::vector<chaiscript::Boxed_Value>&)>(&processData)), "processData");

chai.add(chaiscript::bootstrap::standard_library::vector_type<std::vector<int>>("StdVectorInt"));

Then, you can do in the script:

auto data = StdVectorInt();
data.push_back(12);
data.push_back(34);
data.push_back(56);
data.push_back(78);
processData(data);

processData([12, 34, 56, 78]);

I hope it helps.