Error, cannot assign to temporary value

Hello guys.
I’ve been trying to get results from a query in the database returning the values in a map<string, boxed_value> and I get the error: Error, cannot assign to temporary value_

chaisql.cpp:

[code]std::map<std::string, chaiscript::Boxed_Value> ChaiSql::Query(const std::string& Query)
{
std::map<std::string, chaiscript::Boxed_Value> Result;
auto ToLower = [](std::string Name) -> std::string {
std::transform(Name.begin(), Name.end(), Name.begin(), tolower);
return Name;
};

for (auto i : this->_db->Query(Query))
    {
        Result.insert({ToLower(i.first), chaiscript::Boxed_Value(i.second)});
    }

return Result;

}[/code]

chaiengine.cpp:

[code]utility::add_class(*m, “fdSql”,
{
constructor<ChaiSql()>()
},
{
{fun(&ChaiSql::Query), “query”},
});

this->_script->add(m);
this->_script->add_global(var(Singleton::Instance()), “sql”);[/code]

main.chai:

[code]// works fine
var result = sql.query(“select name from player where id = '”+ player.account() + “’”)

if (!result.empty()) { // works fine
    var name = result["name"] // error
     // or
    if (result["name"] == "name") { // error
    }

return true
}

return false

[/code]
Am I doing something wrong? The documentation is a bit complicated for my understanding, out I’ve tried to do this work in many other ways and still nothing.

I’ve tried to reproduce your error and cannot seem to.

The only case I see where I get an error in ChaiScript is if result["name"] is empty and the result from it is an undefined value, then the assignment and == would cause runtime errors.

Is it possible this is the case you are running into? Can you verify that result["name"] is returning a non-empty value and what type it is?

I’ve added this lambda to test. I’ve added a breakpoint in return and the variable “Value” is coming with the correct name, but I can’t use.
The type of result is string, but to send the chai, I converted to Boxed_Value.

this->_script->add(fun([](const std::string& value) -> bool { return !_stricmp(Value.c_str(), "test") ? true : false; }), "test_value");

And whenever the lambda tried to return the result, I get this error … So I remade several times the function because at first I thought the function was the problem, but then later I’ve tried to use only the map of the result in the chaiscript and I received the same error. So I figured that the error was on the map and not in function.

Would it be possible to post a complete example that demonstrates the problem? The example from your first post relies on some DB backend code that I don’t have access to.

If you can reduce the problem to the smallest example possible, that would help a lot.

I have changed a few things and I did some more tests and I get the same error.
My code changes:

Function query:

std::map<std::string, std::string> ChaiSql::Query(const std::string& Query) { return this->_db->Query(Query); // function Query return std::map<std::string, std::string> with key lowercase digits }

Added to my module:

bootstrap::standard_library::map_type<std::map<std::string, std::string>>("MapOfString", m); this->_script->add(m); // This is on the end of the my load function in my class ChaiEngine.

Debugging prints:

main.chai:

Running to_bool() function from the script and checking the value:

Returning a result of to_bool() function:

I’ve tried with to_int() too and also got the same error.

It’s really quite impossible for me to debug the issue if I cannot reproduce it.

I need two specific things from you:

1. Please verify that you are using the latest official version of ChaiScript (5.8.3 https://github.com/ChaiScript/ChaiScript/releases/tag/v5.8.3)
  2. Please provide a complete stand alone example that reproduces the issue.