Identifying absence of return

I would like to recognize when a ChaiScript function doesn’t call return, back in C++. I.e., the following situation:

chaiscript::Boxed_Value bv = chai.eval("def g() { } g()");
// test bv to recognize that this happened

For example, if the function actually called return, without passing anything to it, I could identify it via:

chaiscript::Boxed_Value bv = chai.eval("def f() { return } f()");
// bv.get_type_info().is_undef() is now true

Is there something equivalent in the first case?

In ChaiScript the return value of a function is the result of the last statement executed.

Example:

def f() { 5; } f() // returns 5
def f2() { return 5; } f2() // returns 5

Those two statements are exactly the same in ChaiScript

So, similarly

def g() { } g() // implicitly returns 'void'
def g2() { return; } g2() // explicitly returns 'void'

There is no way to tell the difference between these statements.

I would recommend that at the end of your function you consider returning a sentry value of some kind, something like:

def func() {
  if (x) {
    return;
  }

false;
}

Then you can check something like vc.get_type_info().is_void() then you know it came from an explicit return, otherwise it dropped through to the bool return value.

I’d be perfectly happy if g() and g2() in your example were indistinguishable. The trouble is that I can recognize g2 by checking is_undef(), but not g. If I check is_void(), it returns false in both cases.

So it seems that I have normalized the behavior in my current development branch here: https://github.com/ChaiScript/ChaiScript/tree/cleanups_and_reworkds

Sorry about the confusion.

So the question is what to do from here? These changes are a bit too drastic to merge into the 5.x release branch.

• You can join me on that in-progress branch. It has very many performance improvements and cleanups like this, but also requires a C++14 compiler, and it is in a state of flux
  • You can test for a 3-way kind of test
    • if is_undef() || is_void() || bare_equal_type_info(typeid(bool)) (the default return value of a block is true in the version of ChaiScript you are using)

-Jason

Ah, brilliant. Unfortunately, C++14 is not an option for me. So I’ll go with your final option (testing against bool). Thanks a lot for your help!