std::unique_ptr<T> experiments

I have tried the std::unique_ptr<T> support in the last few weeks. I have to register user-defined type conversions in order to call methods on the wrapped pointer. Basically, the type std::unique_ptr<T> needs to be converted to either T or T*. Also, when calling methods from a base class, more user-defined type conversions are required. Assuming the type D derived from base class B, std::unique_ptr<D> requires a conversion to either B or B* for those methods to be called.
There is one problem which I couldn’t work around with user-defined type conversions though. It is the conversion from std::unique_ptr<D> to std::unique_ptr<B>&&. I couldn’t find a way to make it possible to call test(…) and this is the last use case that is giving me troubles to transfer ownership from chaiscript to C++. Here is some sample code to illustrate this.

class B
{
public:
	std::function<int()> f(int c)
	{
		return [c]() {
			return c;
		};
	}

void g(std::function<int()> f)
	{
		std::cout << f() << '\n';
	}
};

class D : public B
{
public:
	void h()
	{
		std::cout << "h()\n";
	}
};

std::unique_ptr<D> makeD()
{
	return std::make_unique<D>();
}

void test(std::unique_ptr<B>&& b)
{
	std::unique_ptr<B> consume = std::move(b);
	consume->g(consume->f(3));
}

int main(int argc, const char * argv[])
{
	chaiscript::ChaiScript c;
	chaiscript::ModulePtr m = chaiscript::ModulePtr(new chaiscript::Module());
	chaiscript::utility::add_class<B>(*m, "B", {}, {
		{chaiscript::fun(&B::f), "f"},
		{chaiscript::fun(&B::g), "g"}
	});
	chaiscript::utility::add_class<D>(*m, "D", {}, {
		{chaiscript::fun(&D::h), "h"}
	});
	m->add(chaiscript::base_class<B, D>());
	m->add(chaiscript::fun(makeD), "makeD");
	m->add(chaiscript::fun(test), "test");
	m->add(chaiscript::type_conversion<std::unique_ptr<D>, D*>([](const std::unique_ptr<D>& uptr) {
		return uptr.get();
	}));
	m->add(chaiscript::type_conversion<std::unique_ptr<D>, B*>([](const std::unique_ptr<D>& uptr) {
		return dynamic_cast<B*>(uptr.get());
	}));
	c.add(m);
	c.eval("var d = makeD();"
		 "d.h();"
		 "d.g(d.f(5));"
		 "test(d);");
	return 0;
}

And here is the output I get :

h()
libc++abi.dylib: terminating with uncaught exception of type chaiscript::exception::eval_error: Error: "Error calling function 'test'" With parameters: (NSt3__110unique_ptrI1DNS_14default_deleteIS1_EEEE) 

Any suggestions on how to support calling the test(…) method with the result from makeD(…)?

I’d like to start with the first part, your comment that you have to provide your own versions between std::unique_ptr<D> and D*. This is one thing I’ve made a point of testing in the latest develop branch work, see here:

Can you verify what version of ChaiScript you are starting from and maybe provide a simple example that fails that most basic unique_ptr to * test?

Thank you,
Jason

To answer your question, I am using the head of the master branch from github. The sample code I have provided in my original post reproduces the problems I am describing.

When commenting out the type_conversion from std::unique_ptr<D> to D* included in that sample, I get the following exception :

libc++abi.dylib: terminating with uncaught exception of type chaiscript::exception::eval_error: Error: “Error with function dispatch for function ‘h’” With parameters: (NSt3__110unique_ptrI1DNS_14default_deleteIS1_EEEE).()

Otherwise, when the type_conversion is added to the module, then I get the following output instead :

h()
libc++abi.dylib: terminating with uncaught exception of type chaiscript::exception::eval_error: Error: “Error calling function ‘test’” With parameters: (NSt3__110unique_ptrI1DNS_14default_deleteIS1_EEEE)

Also I went in and added a new unit test to call methods through unique_ptr and reproduced this problem. I used the class A which is defined right after the “Use unique_ptr” test case. I have added a single method to class A which you will find below. Here is the new failing test case :

class A
{
  public:
    A() = default;
    A(const A&) = default;
    A(A &&) = default;
    A &operator=(const A&) = default;
    A &operator=(A&&) = default;
    virtual ~A() = default;

int getI() const {return 5;}
};

TEST_CASE("Call methods through unique_ptr")
{
    chaiscript::ChaiScript_Basic chai(create_chaiscript_stdlib(),create_chaiscript_parser());

chai.add(chaiscript::var(std::make_unique<A>()), "uptr");
    CHECK(chai.eval<int>("uptr.getI()") == 5);
}

The std::unique_ptr support is not yet on master, it’s only on develop branch.

Okay, sorry for the confusion, I just went back to github and realized I did get the develop branch as it was the one selected by default on the landing page for the ChaiScript project. It does include this commit : https://github.com/ChaiScript/ChaiScript/commit/fb7f8f194cc85daec881605e62bef85607a2ff66 on which I commented in early december 2016.

Ok, I’ll start with your unit test and see what I find. Then I’ll probably release Chai 6.0 after that. This release has been sitting for far too long.

Ok, I’ve taken your test case modified it (slightly, to fix a bug and make the names unique) and it executes with no problem at all on the develop branch.

class Unique_Ptr_Test_Class
{
  public:
    Unique_Ptr_Test_Class() = default;
    Unique_Ptr_Test_Class(const Unique_Ptr_Test_Class&) = default;
    Unique_Ptr_Test_Class(Unique_Ptr_Test_Class &&) = default;
    Unique_Ptr_Test_Class &operator=(const Unique_Ptr_Test_Class&) = default;
    Unique_Ptr_Test_Class &operator=(Unique_Ptr_Test_Class&&) = default;
    virtual ~Unique_Ptr_Test_Class() = default;

int getI() const {return 5;}
};

{
    chaiscript::ChaiScript_Basic chai(create_chaiscript_stdlib(),create_chaiscript_parser());

chai.add(chaiscript::var(std::make_unique<Unique_Ptr_Test_Class>()), "uptr");
    chai.add(chaiscript::fun(&Unique_Ptr_Test_Class::getI), "getI");
    CHECK(chai.eval<int>("uptr.getI()") == 5);
}

Are you certain you are running with the code from develop and your chaiscript build is up to date?

-Jason

Hi Jason,

I am in fact using branch develop, I verified it with the following results :

dalzhim$ git status
On branch develop
Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/develop'.

I pulled your last commit and the test passed successfully. I realize now that the test case I submitted failed for the wrong reasons. So I worked a bit more in order to reproduce the problem and here’s an updated version of the test case that fails over here. The Unique_Ptr_Test_Class is left unchanged.

std::unique_ptr<Unique_Ptr_Test_Class> make_Unique_Ptr_Test_Class()
{       
        return std::make_unique<Unique_Ptr_Test_Class>();
}

{

chai.add(chaiscript::fun(make_Unique_Ptr_Test_Class), "make_Unique_Ptr_Test_Class");
    chai.add(chaiscript::fun(&Unique_Ptr_Test_Class::getI), "getI");
    CHECK(chai.eval<int>("var uptr = make_Unique_Ptr_Test_Class();uptr.getI()") == 5);
}

I added your test and fixed the issue here: https://github.com/ChaiScript/ChaiScript/commit/1cb15d8b226818464495399d57ac95edc8bb3012

-Jason

Great! Now calling a method on type T through std::unique_ptr<T> works great. I have submitted a pull request for a new failing test case where I try to call a method on type Base through std::unique_ptr<Derived>.

With our last iterations, the first three statements are now working great without the need for manual type conversion registration.

c.eval(
  "var d = makeD();"
  "d.h();"
  "d.g(d.f(5));"
  "test(d);"
);

Only the test function call problem remains and I’ve submitted a new pull request with a test case reproducing it.