Suggestion - Getting Started With The API

Hi,

As a completely new user of ChaiScript and a fairly new user of C++ I have found that I have a hard time getting a good overview of the implementation of ChaiScript.

For example this code: http://chaiscript.com/docs/5/index.html#adding_functions

What would be the corresponding usage in the .chai?

Maybe its only me, but I would have found it much easier to understand if there was a corresponding example of the usage in the script attached to the C++.

/Noob

Well, we tried to make it so that function calls inside of script were as close to c++ as possible, with the exception that we have both dot notation object.method() and function call syntax method(object) which do the same thing.

So, taking that specific example:

using namespace chaiscript;
class MyClass {
  public:
    int memberdata;
    void method();
    void method2(int);
    static void staticmethod();
    void overloadedmethod();
    void overloadedmethod(const std::string &);
};
ChaiScript chai;
chai.add(fun(&MyClass::memberdata), "memberdata");
chai.add(fun(&MyClass::method), "method");
chai.add(fun(&MyClass::staticmethod), "staticmethod");

we can extend it with:

chai.add(var(MyClass()), "obj");
chai.eval("obj.method()"); // calls method
chai.eval("method(obj)"); // calls method, same as above but slightly worse performance
chai.eval("staticmethod()"); // calls staticmethod, not that since it's static there's no object to call it on

There’s also the ChaiScript cheatsheet, where I’ve been trying to put my documentation efforts lately.

See: https://github.com/ChaiScript/ChaiScript/blob/develop/cheatsheet.md

I’m in great need of help on two fronts:

1. I need users to give me EXPLICIT examples of what they’d like to see done, and I can create examples of it / add it to the cheatsheet.
  2. I need help with people creating more examples and more documentation.

I am literally the worst person in the world to create documentation for this project because I know it too well. I don’t know what’s not-obvious to the rest of the users.

-Jason

This was exactly what I was looking for, a glance at this made me see the error I made in my code. With some “evals” like this it both gets clearer and get allot easier to find the example that I’m looking for.

I like this - it clarifies stuff and you haven’t used “using namespace”. I know people use it but I don’t think an example should take short cuts like this - all in the name of clarity.

At the moment I’m completely caught up in work and my own project but I will try to give you some feedback and hopefully I can provide some examples when I start documenting my project.

Kent

I agree that I don’t appreciate examples with lots of using declarations in them. Makes me confused about where things come from.