Unable to find appropriate '=' operator

Consider the code below — MakeController is a static function injected into the scripting system. I am having a problem where I’m getting an exception on the second assignment to the ‘cc’ variable, i.e, the line
cc = MakeController(1,v);

The reason is "Unable to find appropriate ‘=’ operator but I have absolutely no idea what that means.

Any insights would be appreciated.

def OnActivate()
    {
      var v = Round( K1.GetValue() * 127);
      var cc = MakeController(71, v);
      Twister.SendMidiMessage(cc);

v = Round (K2.GetValue() * 127) ;
      cc = MakeController(1, v);
      // Twister.SendMidiMessage(cc);
    }

That means that you need to supply an operator= for whatever type is returned from MakeController.

It would appear that what you really want to do is something like:

def OnActivate()
{
  {
    var v = Round( K1.GetValue() * 127);
    var cc = MakeController(71, v);
  }

{
    var v = Round (K2.GetValue() * 127) ;
    var cc = MakeController(1, v);
  }
}

which avoids the reassignment entirely.

-Jason

Thanks for the quick response. I guess I need to inject operator= into the scripting system. I don’t want users to have to create separate blocks for this. What is the syntax for injecting an operator into a script, is it exactly the same as injecting a function name?

Frankly, it never occurred to me that this was the problem. Is there not a default assignment operator that would just do a shallow copy (which in fact is all that’s needed for this particular class)?

Never mind - I found your example

chai.add(fun(&MyClass::operator+), “+”);

Actually, that doesn’t work.
So there’s a definition in my class called

MidiMessage& operator= (const MidiMessage& other);

but the line
chai.add(chaiscript::fun(&MidiMessage::operator=), “=”);
doesn’t compile, I get a message no matching function for call to ‘fun’

What am I missing (other than having forgotten too much C++)

Do you have multiple overloads for operator= ? Can you paste the full error you are getting?

-Jason

No overloads, just the one. But the issue I’m having is that I don’t know how to inject an operator into my chaiscript from C++. I can’t figure out the right syntax for the chai.add(fun…) that compiles for an operator example

Right, and what I’m trying to say is that I need more info, because what you showed looks correct and matches other use inside the ChaiScript code base.

Happy to give you any info you like but not sure what you need. There are no multiple overloads for operator=, just the one defined in the MidiMessage class.

The compile error for
> chai.add(chaiscript::fun(&MidiMessage::operator=)), “=”);

is “No matching function for call to ‘fun’”

I’m not sure whether it’s relevant but the method inside of which this code is written is not part of the class MidiMessage.

There has to be more to the compile time error than that, probably pages of different overloads that it attempted. I need either a reproducible example or those pages of errors.

I’m sorry — I’m so used to the little red text in the IDE giving me enough information that I completely forgot there are more details to be found in logging.

/Volumes/HD2/src/Deskew/Projects/TheGigRack/Source/Processors/MIDIMessageReceiver.cpp:1282:44: No matching function for call to ‘fun’
/Volumes/HD2/src/Deskew/Projects/TheGigRack/ChaiScript/chaiscript/dispatchkit/register_function.hpp:39:20: Candidate template ignored: couldn’t infer template argument ‘T’
/Volumes/HD2/src/Deskew/Projects/TheGigRack/ChaiScript/chaiscript/dispatchkit/register_function.hpp:48:20: Candidate template ignored: couldn’t infer template argument ‘Ret’
/Volumes/HD2/src/Deskew/Projects/TheGigRack/ChaiScript/chaiscript/dispatchkit/register_function.hpp:58:20: Candidate template ignored: couldn’t infer template argument ‘Ret’
/Volumes/HD2/src/Deskew/Projects/TheGigRack/ChaiScript/chaiscript/dispatchkit/register_function.hpp:67:20: Candidate template ignored: couldn’t infer template argument ‘Ret’
/Volumes/HD2/src/Deskew/Projects/TheGigRack/ChaiScript/chaiscript/dispatchkit/register_function.hpp:78:20: Candidate template ignored: couldn’t infer template argument ‘T’
/Volumes/HD2/src/Deskew/Projects/TheGigRack/ChaiScript/chaiscript/dispatchkit/register_function.hpp:105:20: Candidate function template not viable: requires 2 arguments, but 1 was provided
/Volumes/HD2/src/Deskew/Projects/TheGigRack/ChaiScript/chaiscript/dispatchkit/register_function.hpp:131:20: Candidate function template not viable: requires 3 arguments, but 1 was provided

Ok, something weird is definitely going on. Let’s try this, using a lambda, which should get around any possible weirdness and work regardless of how your operator= has come into existence.

chai.add(
  chaiscript::fun(
    [](MidiMessage &lhs, const MidiMessage &rhs) -> MidiMessage & {
      return lhs = rhs;
    }
  )
  , "=");

Thanks for the help — this lambda version compiles fine – I have to put the script back again to test it. However, I understand how it works though — good solution.

For bonus points, the more generic version would be something like:

chai.add(
  chaiscript::fun(
    [](MidiMessage &lhs, const MidiMessage &rhs) -> decltype(auto) {
      return (lhs = rhs);
    }
  )
  , "=");

But that’s probably not necessary for what you’re doing. this syntax allows the lambda to deduce that the return type is a & instead of a value.

-Jason