When executing Chai Callback, RaiseException performance issue

I’ve come across ChaiScript and was interested in trying it out as a way to script certain elements in my current project.

I’m currently using ChaiScript 5.5.1 on VC++ 2013

My first test was writing a callback, something like
fun(object) { return object.state == true; }

That is then evaled and stored in a std::function<bool(obj)>, and called from my c++ code, it seems to work; however I call this 900 times at the moment when switching between two states to update the display, when I do this the program basically freezes for 3 seconds in debug, ( 1 second in release )

I profiled the execution, and it seems that ~90% of the cpu time is spent in the windows method “RaiseException” called as an exception is thrown here:

Any idea if this is something that can be improved, either by changing how i’m using the chaiscript, or by improvements to chaiscript?

If it’s any consolation, I can assure you it’s only slow because you’re running it in the debugger. A debug build run outside of the debugger, or a release build will be much faster.

It is not ideal that we use an exception to handle return it’s something my co-creator wants to eliminate, but I haven’t had time to spend on it.

All of that’s a long way of saying “Yes, I can offer you a simple work-around”

The return value of a statement in ChaiScript is the value of the last statement executed, so:

fun(object) { object.state == true; }

Will get you the exact same result while reducing the number of exceptions thrown and in general being faster, since the return doesn’t have to be processed.

A very simple optimization I’ll need to implement at some point would be simply removing the return if it’s the last statement in the function.

Hopefully that helps.

Thanks for the feedback,

Removing return did have significant improvements while running the debugger, and minor improvements without.

I’ll leave the numbers I calculated here so you see the data.

ChaiScript - C++ Method Call, with single comparison, With return.
Debug Build; No Debugger: 186.88ms
Debug Build; With Debugger: 714.60ms
Release Build; No Debugger: 19.30ms
Release Build; With Debugger: 435.98ms

ChaiScript - C++ Method Call, with single comparison, No return:
Debug Build; No Debugger: 171.70ms
Debug Build; With Debugger: 245.71ms
Release Build; No Debugger: 13.40ms
Release Build; With Debugger: 23.15ms

C++ - C++ Method Call, with single comparison:
Debug Build; With Debugger: 1.48ms
Release Build; No Debugger: 0.08ms

All numbers are the average of several tests.

That’s 900 callbacks in 13.4ms, best case? If that’s correct that’s ~15us / chaiscript function call?

Yes, that is correct.

I recently compared ChaiScript to a similar process of calling ruby->c++ (using SWIG to generate the interface) and saw a near identical performance between ChaiScript and Ruby for C++ method calls.

I find that quite acceptable, knowing that ChaiScript still has plenty of room to grow for performance, compared to the more mature Ruby.

Your numbers fall in line with what I would have expected.

Oh, also, last I checked if you enable Whole Program Optimization in MSVC, you can expect to see another 15% improvement when using ChaiScript.

FYI, I’ve got work in progress that eliminates return statements where possible: https://github.com/ChaiScript/ChaiScript/commit/40e2bf4099a89dc104944c0f0b5e6b78b16d4368

Automatic removal of return statements when they are the last statement of the function is now a normal part of chaiscript, for anyone looking for info on this.

Oh, and also, MUCH internal exception handling has been eliminated.