Which kind of thread safety is provided by Chaiscript

Hi,

We can read that Chaiscript is thread safe by default, and that we can disable it to improve the performance.

For what I have understood this means that multiple threads can call the same script engine without problems, knowing that user objects must be protected themselves.

I have multiples threads and each owns a script engine. Do I need the threading support in this case ?

Even that I have enabled it (default), the helgrind tool reports many potentials race conditions. Can I ignore them or something is really at risk ?

See log at https://pastebin.com/4pz10p3U

Philippe

Correct, if you disable thread safety but have only one thread accessing each ChaiScript interpreter you should be fine.

I think that code is OK that helgrind is warning on, but you are clearly using a very old version of ChaiScript that is no longer supported. In ChaiScript 6.0 the function add_reserved_word doesn’t even exist any longer.

We have tried the following hello_world in a multi-threaded test application with the latest release of Chaiscript

/// main.cpp

#include <chaiscript/chaiscript.hpp>
#include
#include

static const int num_threads = 10;

std::string helloWorld(const std::string &t_name) {
return "Hello " + t_name + “\n”;
}

void call_from_thread() {
chaiscript::ChaiScript chai;
chai.add(chaiscript::fun(&helloWorld), “helloWorld”);

chai.eval(R"(
puts(helloWorld(“Bob”));
)");
}

int main() {

std::thread t[num_threads];

//Launch a group of threads
for (int i = 0; i < num_threads; ++i) {
t[i] = std::thread(call_from_thread);
}

std::cout << “Launched from the main\n”;

//Join the threads with the main thread
for (int i = 0; i < num_threads; ++i) {
t[i].join();
}

return 0;
}

It was compiled with: g++ (GCC) 4.9.1 20140922 (Red Hat 4.9.1-10)

Running: valgrind --tool=helgrind ./chai_thread still reports a lot of possible data race

See log at: https://pastebin.com/LN65una4

Can you check if the errors can safely be ignored ?

Philippe